Be Safe During an Earthquake
- Remain calm so that you are better able to assess the damage and assist others in need.
- Take cover.
* If you are inside
- Stay there and move under a sturdy piece of furniture
- Stay away from windows
- Protect your head and face with any available protective material
* If you are outdoors
- Stay there and find an open area
- Stay away from tall buildings, structures, power lines, trees, and other tall structures
* If you are inside a vehicle
- Pull over and stop in an open area
- Keep your seatbelt fastened
- Stay away from bridges, overpasses, tall structures, and trees
- Stay inside your vehicle since it will protect you from falling and flying objects
Respond After an Earthquake
- Stay safe after the quake
* Do not go outdoors until you are sure that falling or flying debris will not suddenly strike you.
* Do not use the elevator because a power outage may happen right after the quake
* Check if there are any injured or trapped people near you.
* Try to help as much as you can by following emergency medical procedures.
* Follow the evacuation plan of the building you are in.
- Identify the condition of your other family members especially those with special needs or requirements.
- Turn off utilities and keep emergency tools and supplies nearby.
Communicate and Recover After an Earthquake
- Meet your family members or housemates in a safe place outside of your home.
- You should have a contact person who everyone in your group can call to relay information.
- Locate your list of important contact phone numbers.
- Obtain your essential documents and emergency supply kit